These are averages only; actual results may vary due to factors such surfaces (e.g, trails, vs roads), terrain (e.g., bushwhacking vs clear), elevation changes, (e.g.,hilly vs flat), and weather.
EASY less than 2.5 mph
MODERATE 2.5-3.0 mph
BRISK 3.0 – 3.5 mph
FAST over 3.5 mph
Avg. time 25 or more 20-25 17-20 17 or lessper mile minutes minutes minutes minutes
• EASY - pace defined as slower walking with more frequent rest breaks (e.g. for
viewing surroundings, nature calls, equipment adjustments, and allowing walkers
to catch up). For the slower walker.
• MODERATE - pace defined as as comfortable walking with occasional rest
breaks. For the average walker.
• BRISK - pace defined as faster walking with occasional rest breaks. For the
average, better conditioned walker.
• FAST - pace defined as fitness walking with few rest breaks for any reason. For
seasoned, in fit condition walkers.
Hike distances are in miles, and may optionally be followed by hike duration in
hours. The following codes are used to show unusual features of a hike:
BW - Bushwhacking WF - Wet feet possible NS - No stops
NP - No pets NC - No children FS - Few stops
LP - Leashed Pet
Refer to the page listing Standard Meeting Places for directions to hikes.
BACKPACK TRIP RATING SYSTEM
1. NOVICE: 5 or less trips - mild weather, relatively flat terrain.
2. INTERMEDIATE: 5 or more trips - mild weather, moderate climbs - up to 8
3. ADVANCED: 10 or more trips - three season, except winter. Strenuous
climbs over difficult terrain - upgraded equipment.
4. EXPERT: Leadership experience or comparable ability - all seasons - good
physical condition - completely equipped for all terrain and weather.
The Outdoor Club, its officers and leaders, shall not be liable for any injuries,
illness, loss or damage to any person or property, as a result of participation
in any Club outing. Each participant assumes all risk and liability connected
therewith. All persons, MEMBERS ALIKE, are to sign with the leader at each